Beginners kitesurfing is a real passion for team leader William Austin. If you want to learn, he wants to teach you. William loves to introduce new people to the sport and loves helping them progress from rookie to rockstar in a few easy steps. Our 3-day beginners kitesurfing course is your ideal starting point if you want to learn to kitesurf.
We’ll teach you everything you need to know from scratch. Kitesurfing can seem daunting at first but with expert guidance you can progress much more quickly than you might think. By the end of the course, you'll know where it’s safe to kite surf, how to fly a power kite and have the skills and confidence you need to get up on your board and ride.
Our beginner's kitesurfing course is scheduled to run over 3 days. Because beginners need a high level of attention we highly recommend private lessons for beginners – it’s the quickest way learn how to kitesurf. Making progress will make you happy, and we want you to be happy!
Everyone is an individual and that means that we all progress at different rates, but here's a breakdown of roughly what you'll be doing on each day of the course.
Day 1 begins with spot identification, reading the weather and safety procedures. Once you have a grasp of these essential factors you'll learn to set up and fly a trainer kite, then a full size kite. If you're getting the hang of things quickly you'll move on to body dragging and maybe even board starts.
Day 2 kicks off with a refresh of what you learn on day 1. You'll do a recap of body dragging then move on to board starts. If your confidence and skill levels are high enough you'll get up on the board and do some short rides downwind.
Day 3 starts with another recap of days 1 and 2. On day 3 pretty much everyone will be getting up on the board and trying some downwind riding. With a bit of luck and a following wind you might even attempt some upwind riding and your first transitions.
For a detailed breakdown of the minimum, we'd hope to teach you take a look at the day tabs at the top of the page. If you're ready to learn more than that, we're here to teach you how.
We'll never push you harder than you want to go but we'll always try and help you make as much progress as possible.
|group-size||Private Lesson, Semi-Private Lesson|
- Understand safe wind directions and conditions for kiting
- Identify hazards in a kitesurfing spot
- Set up a trainer kite
- Learn the use of kite safety systems
- Learn to fly a trainer kite
- Launch and land a trainer kite with an assistant
- Twist and untwist the lines while flying the trainer kite
- Walk and change directions while flying the trainer kite
- Understand the wind window
- Set-up a leading edge inflatable (LEI) kite with a full de-power system
- Learn how to check safety equipment and settings before flying the kite
- Learn how to check equipment and settings in flight
- Understand and use the international communication signals
- Launch and land the kite to an assistant and as an assistant
- Control the kite while it’s hooked into the harness
- Understand the de-power system and learn to use the safety systems
- Learn advanced flying skills with the de-power kite
- Gain full control of de-power systems while the kite is in flight
- Learn to use the quick release and activate the leash
- Learn to recover the bar and kite
- Self land the kite
- Enter and exit the water independently and safely while controlling the kite
- Water re-launch the kite
- First body drag downwind
- Maintain correct kite position in the wind window
- Change direction to the left and right while body dragging
- Recover the kite and bar in the water
- Upwind body drag to recover board
- Upwind body drag holding the board with one hand
- Enter and exit at the same point while upwind body dragging
First board starts and holding your edge
Combing correct Kite control and power with board start
First Superman (intentional or not)
Control Edge of Board and power of Kite while maintaining speed
- Water starts in both directions and ride a short distance
- Come to a controlled stop
- Understand weather forecast, tide and wind effects
- Determine the wind strength, direction and quality
- Learn the right of way rules
- Know equipment set up and choice
- Control the riding speed by edging
- Consistent riding in both directions
- Consistent riding in all directions including upwind
- Ride amongst other riders and water users and respect right of way rules
- Change of direction without stopping
- Self- rescue and full pack-down in the water
- Risk assessment and awareness of the riding area
- Self launch
- Make a toe side turn
- Knows the theory and the safety rules for jumping.
- Land a basic jump
When you learn all that you’re good to go kitesurfing on your own!